I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies;
for the hardest victory is over self.
ARE YOU PROCRASTINATING?
Are you concerned about a procrastination habit?
- You promised yourself you would get back to writing..but somehow you didnt...
- You committed to completing those tax returnsl...next week
- You bought books on getting fit and eating right--and you will...as soon as you finish reading them.
People who procrastinate often judge themselves.
Do you recognize any of these self-judgments?
I don't respect myself.
Why am I so weak?
What a lousy human being I am.
Maybe I'm born to lose...
What are the results of this self-talk?
Without the right tools, people can experience disturbing emotions:
ARE YOU A PROCRASTINATOR?
Procrastination leads to lost opportunities:
CUMULATIVE FRUSTRATIONS DUE TO DELAYING ORGANIZATION:
ARE YOU AN ALL-OR-NOTHING THINKER?
It's tempting to want to fix all of your procrastination problems at once. Usually this approach leads to failure simply because you don't prioritize the goals and tasks at hand.
At Procrastination Stoppers we are dedicated to getting you close to 100% Procrastination Free...but stopping Procrastination doesn’t happen all at once or 100% of the time.
So the question is: If you could improve your Mastery (your self-regulation) by just 20% in the next 3 months, would that be worthwhile?
Of course it would.
So let's gain a deeper understanding of Procrastination together...
WHAT IS PROCRASTINATION?
Procrastination is a CHOICE.
It comes from the Latin: pro (forward) crastinate (tomorrow).
That’s right... A CHOICE!
Procrastination has it’s roots in emotional disturbance--the tendency of all humans to emotionally disturb themselves.
Do you use some of these phrases?
- I’ll do it when I’m more relaxed..
- I'm not feeling inspired.
- I'll feel like doing it tomorrow.
But Tomorrow never comes; when it does, it's Today.
PROCRASTINATORS ARE NOT NECESSARILY LAZY!
Procrastinators are not necessarily lazy.
They are often active... in a distracting activity.
- Cleaning the house
- Getting to the next level on the video game.
- Checking and rechecking email.
ARE YOU IN PANDEMIC FATIGUE?
- lack of motivation
- fuzzy thinking
- increased substance use
- decreased healthy habits
If so, you are 'typical.'
But, you can activate yourself in the midst of a crisis.
Don't blame everything on the crisis or pandemic...
Before the pandemic--did you have problems with procrastination and motivation?
You're still in the right place!
Procrastination Stoppers can help you move through these obstacles.
2 STEPS FORWARD--1 STEP BACK:
So you fell down. You gave up. You tried a number of times and didnt succeed.
You thought 'I can't ever win.'
We have a plan for that...
The Procrastination Stoppers Accountability Group is a safe space where we all agree to use UOA.
What is UOA?
UOA =Unconditional Other Acceptance--even when you fall down, regress, fail miserably--we continue to accept you as a flawed human being.
To err is human.
And we verify that you have full, irrevocable membership in the human race.
PROCRASTINATION STOPPERS HAS THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THIS JOB!
Procrastination Stoppers groups (PS Groups) use various techniques--some of which you may have worked on individually. PS uses the power of Group Support--as well as CBT, REBT and ACT cognitive behavioral therapies.
In each PS session, we commit, to the group, to move forward in our Values and Goals.
We work on the anxieties, fears, habits and 'goal size' to help you get from where you are to where you want to be.
PS stands for Procrastination Stoppers...
P.S.--Do It Now!
HOW DO I KNOW IF PROCRASTINATION STOPPERS IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Great Question! Glad you asked!
Appropriate targets for the Accountability Group include, but arent limited to:
WORK AND SCHOOL:
LIFE SKILLS--TIME AND MONEY:
The Power of Procrastination Stoppers Group Support:
In a Procrastination Stoppers support group, you will be surrounded by people who know what you are going through.
WHY PROCRASTINATION STOPPERS GROUP? WHY NOT INDIVIDUAL COACHING?
You may be wondering why you can't get this same benefit through individual coaching or therapy. Certainly individual help is valuable. You may even decide to get both group and individual help to put 'rocket fuel' into your pro-activation and to move out of pro-crastination.
But groups give you much, much more, including...
1. A 'No B.S.' Reality Check.
Your Procrastination Stoppers peers will challenge you to take an honest look at your situation and your part in it. We're going to help you shake off the old B.S. you may have subscribed to--and by B.S. we mean 'Belief Systems.'
2. A Sounding Board for Your Decisions.
Procrastination affects many aspects of your life. Having a tribe of others working on accountability who listen and help you pursue values and life direction can be a true gift.
3. Real Change.
When you work on yourself in a Procrastination Stoppers Group, you change. You also change how you 'show up' in all of your relationships, your work and your homelife. As a result, you will see change!
4. A Support System.
Many men and women who procrastinate may also delay forming close connections. Group members provide you with a community, a tribe of others who are there to support you, and help you through, not only your procrastination habits but your life well after your procrastination is behind you.
5. Wisdom from Collective Experience.
Even if you feel your habit pattern is different from the other group members, you can still gain deep insight, from their experiences, wisdom and even their mistakes. You gain access to knowledge and wisdom from those who've walked the same path.
6. Deeper Emotional Awareness.
By gaining more understanding of your emotions, you can start to tolerate and manage those emotions. Procrastination Stoppers groups provide you with the tools you need to learn to feel your emotional state and to talk to yourself in a way that supports your life goals. This often improves every aspect in your life.
7. A Safe Place to Feel.
Procrastination Stoppers groups allow men and women to express their feelings about their accountability problems in a safe environment rather than stuffing them away.
8. A Group That Can Help Make Your Relationships More Satisfying.
When you feel competent, your confidence is given a boost. This can only help you as you navigate friendships and relationships.
9. Transforming Your Relationship with Your Kids.
As you become better at identifying your thoughts and emotions it will be easier to provide both disciplined and compassionate parenting.
10. The Wisdom and Growth That Will Help You Become a Better Communicator.
By having a more intimate knowledge of your own thoughts and feelings, you will be able to identify rational from irrational thoughts and reduce unrealistic expectations. This in turn will allow you to experience more satisfaction and even joy in your relationships.
In the Procrastination StoppersGroup, members will learn how to:
INCREASE MOTIVATION FOR CHANGE:
· Identify the disadvantages of the ‘procrastination habit.’
· Identify the advantages of accountability—following through and executing your plans.
REINVEST IN YOURSELF:
· Evaluate and Dispute the ‘dire need for approval.’
· Accept the loss of approval, and of being actively disliked.
CREATE A VALUES-BASED LIFE PLAN:
· Re-identify personal Passion, Mission, Vision
· Identify your Life Values
· Identify personal interests and pursuits
· Identify large Goals that fit your Values
· Identify smaller Goals that fit your Values
IDENTIFY OBSTACLES TO YOUR PLANS:
· Identify Triggers (Activating Events) that lead to overwhelming emotions and ineffective behaviors.
· Identify Belief Systems
· Identify Command/Demand Thinking
· Identify Negative Self-Talk
· Identify Irrational Thoughts
USE THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE:
· Dispute Irrational Thoughts about you, others and the circumstances of your life.
· Confront low frustration tolerance
· Confront the concept that other people must be fair, kind or reciprocate.
· Confront the concept of perfectionism
· Confront the concept of Self-Esteem/Self Value
· Practice Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy Dispute Method (ABCs)
· Create Effective Coping Thoughts.
· Practice Rational Emotive Imagery
CREATING REAL TIME GOALS:
· Identify New Long and Short-Term Goals
· Divide Goals into manageable sub-goals
· Create manageable time-frames
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE:
· Practice New Behaviors
· Practice Behavior Reinforcement
· Practice Assertive Behaviors
· Practice Progressive Relaxation
· Practice Shame Attacking Exercises
· Practice Mindfulness
· Practice Calculated Risks
Are you waiting for 'Tomorrow?'
Tomorrow is the Procrastination 'Mating Call'--it always beckons us with promises of renewed motivation, better feelings, newfound strength...yet...
Tomorrow never arrives...for it is always Today.
NEED MORE INFO?
How Much Time Will the PROCRASTINATION STOPPERS Groups Take?
Each Procrastination Stoppers group has a minimum time commitment of 8 weeks.
Is it an Open or Closed Group?
Each PS Group is open ended, allowing new members in as we progress.
How Large are the Groups?
Groups vary in size between 8 and 12 participants.
Want to Stop Procrastinating?
TAKE THE FIRST SMALL STEP!
Check us out at:
- https://get-focus.org/procrastination-group/ and
- https://get-focus.org/get-unstuck/ and
Email [email protected] and we'll work together on getting you on the road towards your goals!
If you are ready to stop procrastination in its tracks NOW, email us TODAY!
P.S. Do It Now!